Saturday 7 April 2012

Taming Those Flyaways

Recently, a friend asked me what is the best way to get rid of flyaway hairs that she has at the top of her head. I thought that would make a great blog post because I am sure that we have all experienced this problem at some time.

First, a little information about flyaway hair. Flyaways are actually a sign of cuticle damage. The outer layers of the cuticle are peeling up, exposing the inner cortex. An intact cuticle protects the cortex, however when cuticle damage is present the cortex is more susceptible to static. In order to tame flyaway hair you should use a conditioner or a leave in conditioner after shampooing. The more porous and and damaged your hair is, the drier it will be and the more likely that static charge will build up. Therefore you must ensure that your hair is adequately moisturised at all times.

You can also employ the help of a frizz taming serum. There are several of these products on the market but I prefer L'Oreal Eversleek Frizz Taming Creme Serum.




This silicone free serum does and excellent job of taming flyaways without causing the notorious silicone build up on your hair.

When I use this product I apply it to wet hair that has been shampooed and conditioned and then style as usual.   My hair is not hard or crunchy, neither is it oily or greasy. The directions suggest that you use one to two pumps for your entire head but I only use half a pump since I have a short hair cut.

I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment